Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Applying to art fairs

     Most people perusing the wares at an art fair probably don't realize how much time and money go into applying to shows.
     Long before the snow leaves the ground, artists and craftspeople are filling out applications for shows they hope will generate decent profits. The lead time for applying to the most competitive juried shows can be six months or more, and the fees aren't cheap.
     A juried show is one in which artists must submit slides, digital images or photos of their work to be reviewed by a panel of art experts (sometimes) who decide who will be invited to participate.
      Most shows range in size from 75 up to several hundred artists with fees for juried shows usually running more than $100. The most prestigious shows can cost over $500 with some charging $1,000 or more.
      Last year I was accepted into 10 shows for a total of $2,050 in fees. The most expensive was the Buffalo Grove Show near Chicago at $485. This year I'm staying closer to home to reduce expenses. Luckily, the shows are cheaper in northern Michigan than in the Chicago area where I did most of last year's shows. Fees for the seven shows I've applied to so far total $1,010.
     Most shows require both a jury fee and a booth fee. You pay the jury fee regardless of whether you are accepted. Last year I paid $130 in jury fees for the privilege of getting rejection slips from five shows. That's the gamble you take on the art show circuit. The shows that generate the highest sales usually are the ones that are toughest to get into. So you pay your fees and take your chances.
     The peak art fair season in Michigan is during the summer months, as one would expect. And the summers here are short. So artists often apply to more than one show per weekend hoping to get into the best show but reserving a fall back position in case they get rejected. That way they can ensure a full schedule of shows. But it also means more jury fees down the drain.
     The deadline has passed for a good share of the summer art fairs. Artists now are waiting for their letters of acceptance or rejection. I got my first letter last week, a letter of acceptance to the Summer Solstice Art Show in Charlevoix June 26 and 27. So I'm happy, for now.

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck to you!

    I haven't done any really "good" or outdoor shows yet! I'm been trying to get into a couple of better craft shows before I go all out and invest in a canopy and everything it takes for the summer circuit!

    Hope you'll post your show schedule. I often go to shows on the summer weekends!

    Also you might check out the WestMIEtsy Team or Michigan Trolls Team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posted my show schedule on my Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/JewelryArte?ref=ts#!/JewelryArte?v=app_2344061033&ref=ts

    Once I get my web site updated, I'll be posting my schedule there as well.

    ReplyDelete